A Child = A Responsibility
Where is the instruction manual for parents on raising kids? The one that you're to get when you leave the hospital right after having that life put in your arms? What would this instruction manual look like? Can't you just see it? Subjects like, "How to Stop the Whining," and "How to Get Your Kids to Listen." "The what to do’s of life in the flesh."
A huge part of that challenge is passing on your faith to kids whose priorities are more focused on dating, video games, sports, clothing and what others think of them. Don’t forget peer pressure and media pressure and what TV brings that offers temptations to kids to do drugs, drink alcohol and get involved sexually. Today's kids face an overall absence of Godly examples and moral living in a society that is moving toward "freedom from religion" instead of "freedom of religion."
The first thing as a parent we must live out your faith in your own life. It is impossible to give away something you don't have. Kids can spot a phony from a mile away. They're looking for the real deal from their parents. Live your faith! You can start with simple things; show love to everyone, be kind, and generous. If your kids see you finding ways to "be a blessing," it will be natural for them to have it become normal way of life for them too.
Make sure their friends are of same mind in Christ. Their faith will be strengthened if they can share the same values with their friends. How can parents, one or two working together do this? How can one raise a moral child or children in today’s immoral world? How and what should we teach them? How should they be instructed? How can we be sure that what we teach them will stay with them for life? Well let’s see together.
Genesis 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
* We that believe, belong to God. We are of His covenant.
Genesis 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
* Our parental calling is similar to what God gave to Abram.
Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
* You were chosen to come through them, to give glory to our Father first and to them second. Gain wisdom in what is given and received. If they do wrong, you may be the one they can see the way to our Father. This verse completes the first five of Gods commandments and ends with “promise”. Eph. 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;
Deuteronomy 4:9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons;
* Your “responsibility” is to let them all know what not to do and what to do. Some may say, “your not to judge me” or “you can’t judge me” Let them know you are not. Your informing them of truth and what they do with it is up to them. As for your children… be a parent not a friend.
Deuteronomy 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
* Teach Them, Teach Them, And Teach Them! God requires parents to train their children in a God-centered way. The objective must be in raising them in Him and that they know, believe and love Him. They must walk in His path and serve the Lord.
Psalm 8:2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
* Children haven’t been corrupted by the worldly way yet. With this kind of mind, the facts of things evil in this world seem to come out of their mouths. They can see it for what it is. When we speak truth the enemy’s don’t know how to react.
Psalm 34:11 Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
* We are all His and He wants our Love. He shows us the way in this world and with that wisdom comes our love and thankfulness to Him. He wouldn’t want us to learn the hard way, although some do anyway by their own choice. He has shown us the easy path to take. Ref. - Psalm 25:4 Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.
Psalm 101:2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
* We should strive to the perfection everyday. Hold it in your house and out.
Psalm 115:13 He will bless them that fear the LORD, both small and great.
* There are many that should fear our Father. Fear in this verse = Reverence / Love. If you do what is right in His sight, you don’t have anything to fear.
Psalm 115:14 The LORD shall increase you more and more, you and your children.
* Our Father takes care of them that love Him. He will above all give you wisdom and understanding if you show Him you love Him.
Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
* Reward = Blessings Children are a “heritage” a gift from God, a blessing.
Proverbs 3:1-4 1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: You love The LORD, you will! 2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. Following His laws brings health in body and mind. 3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: Hold to them. Keep His Words in mind all day, everyday. 4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. When you follow God. We are pleasing to Him. A bonus is the fact people will see this and turn to Him because of your joy that they themselves seek. God’s Word is powerful in this world. It’s purpose is for everyone that wants it. Ref. - 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
* Parents must shepherd the child’s heart, not only discipline, and not only attempting to correct outward behavior. When anyone sins it comes out of the heart.
Proverbs 8:32 Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways.
* With blessings, come rewards. = Life
Proverbs 12:1 Whoso loveth instruction loveth knowledge: but he that hateth reproof is brutish.
* God’s way is the way that is made easy in a world of evil. Others run from it and show their weakness in the flesh. I have seen the way. Joy is in His path. Psalms 119:35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
* This isn’t meaning to beat them, but to discipline with a spanking. There is a difference. For those that don’t know the difference should not do either. We should give that discipline “betimes” = early as so to let them know why it must be done. If you wait it will only bring anger with confusion.
Proverbs 14:26-27 26 In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. We that follow Him are His. He is our protection and we know Him by His letter to us, The Bible. 27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death. Remember, fear = reverence or Love.
Proverbs 17:8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.
* The question is what is the gift to you? Christ is The Gift that we must put in our lives in order to prosper. We with children have been given a gift of life and with it comes the responsibility to give The Gift of all. Give them Christ everyday.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
* You raise them in the Love of God, they will return to that teaching.
Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
* Don’t let those you love stay in ignorance. Show them the path to take, even if it takes cracking them one on the tail. It could save their life in the flesh and soul.
Proverbs 23:13-14 13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. It won’t kill them, but bring them to understand. Our Father corrects us and we should show those we love correction when need be. 14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. With discipline comes understanding of what is right and wrong. We do something we shouldn’t do and get a smack for it teaches us it is bad. You put your hand on a hot stove you wont do it again.
Proverbs 29:17 Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.
* With wisdom comes doing what you have been shown. You raise one in the right way; you have peace of mind in that one, you have done your work and be glad in it.
Ecclesiastes 11:9-10 9 Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment. God watches us all. He sees what we do as a child or as an adult. There are different ages of accountability and that’s God’s judgment not ours. But we all will be judged. 10 Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth are vanity. Repent and come from that way. It is time to come to God and His Word. Staying in that way of living is useless to you. It is time to grow up!
Ecclesiastes 12:1 Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
* When we have grown up, we see the truth and have awakened to the waste of life and time in our youth. Spending it as a party or self-indulgence instead of living. Walking in evil and worry, instead of goodness and confidence.
Isaiah 54:13 And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.
* His Word brings us “peace”, that is peace of mind.
Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father, which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
* Our Father is in total control. You have not one thing to worry about. When you know Him, you know the outcome.
Mark 7:21-23 21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: Without God in your mind everyday, evil will creep into your hearts. “Lasciviousness” Strong's Number G766 matches the Greek ἀσέλγεια (aselgeia), which means unbridled lust, shamelessness. 23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man. We show our children and others the way to go in God because the other way is of the worldly. If we truly love our families and others, we show them the way to Christ. If they don’t like it, tough. Show them anyway. Plant and pray.
John 12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.
* Don’t be ashamed; teach, Tell, Live Christ. Christian = Christ Like.
John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
* God’s Word works through us to develop growth, a sound biblical change in the lives of children and adults alike.
John 21:5 Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.
* As children, you start on the milk of The Word, and when you grow you come to a point were you want meat. It’s the next step.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
* "The Gift" is Christ and in Him we are given the way to life. Why would we not give that word of wisdom to those in our lives? Don’t ever be afraid to tell anyone. True love is this, true love is you want them to have life.
John 10:10 The
thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am
come that they might have life, and that they might have it more
* Letting anyone live in the worldly way, while in your sight is letting him or her be robbed of life. Why not stop it now! Give to them what you should. This will help them to become rich beyond what most can’t comprehend.
Colossians 2:2-3 2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
* God’s Word brings wealth to us that know what true wealth is. We are rich beyond others. Do you not see, it can all burn down but what you hold dear in your heart is of more value than what you can see, or touch? Give that understanding of the true blessings of God to your loved ones and those in your life.
1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
* You do His work and it doesn’t go to waste. The purpose of good and truth brings love and wisdom. Be strong and don’t sway to conform to what people would have us be, but what God would have us to become.
Ephesians 6:1-3 1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
* “In The Lord” means if they are doing what God has shown, then obey them. If they are not following God, don’t obey them, as it is better always to follow God. If they are doing what is right in the sight of God, obey them for they know better than you. A “promise” you live a long life if it were His will for you.
Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
* Don’t let them see you in evil, but in the good works and love for God. Don’t do what the world has become in saying, “do as I say and not as I do”. Show them the way of The Lord!
Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
* This again is ( if ) they are doing what is right in the sight of God.
1 Thessalonians 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
* When in the dark you cannot see, and because of it you will die. Our sight is on Christ Jesus and His ways, not on satan and the way of death. In death there is darkness. In Christ there is life and the light. We can see!
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And
if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the
* Christ Jesus is that advocate. You must accept Him and what He did for us all and repent in His name. There you have the condition – REPENT. He gave us the way, but we must choose.
1 John 2:28 And
now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may
have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
* There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth on His return. If you follow our Father, you have nothing to worry about. He is not mad at you and 1 John 2:28 applies to you.
1 John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
* In today’s society people are being fooled. The youth and the elderly. They are calling good evil and evil good. They are using schools, TV, economics, and politics. Are you awake? If you can’t see these things, perhaps you are part of it.
Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
* Remember milk is for babes in the word. When you hunger… its time for the meat.
Hebrews 12:5-11 5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: Be glad in your tribulation of this life. Know it is God building you for His purpose and know He has great things coming to you that grow in troubles. Ephesians 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory. So be glad! 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? Many things are done for our own good. I live a life today because of the life I lived yesterday. He helped me grow and become what I must because of His purpose for me. He brought me out of darkness so I can help others come out. He has shown me the path as to guide others to Him. 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Look at “bastards” as illegitimate. We must learn our lessons in life. We must seek truth or there is no truth in us. We must seek God or God is not in us. Without lessons we will not seek Him but be in bondage and darkness throughout life. To refuse correction from Him, you cannot be called to be His children but followers of satan. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? Do you acknowledge God? Do you not see His works in us? We should be very grateful in what He has and is giving us in His love for us. 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Our Father does it for our good. By He correcting us, we grow in wisdom of the way He would have us go. To not see it that way is to not see the blessings of life. I wouldn’t change a thing in my past as it made me what I have become today. Able to help others in that way I once was helped. Able to show them He is there and has been all along. All they have to do is call upon Him. Repent and seek His ways. 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. Ever heard “no pain no gain”? Discipline must be painful so we remember it and grow from it. We become much better than what we are and we bear rich fruit in our lives.
1 Timothy 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
* People should step up and manage their family well. See that the children obey and have proper respect. The best way is God’s way! If the world is saying it is all right, then you should go the other way with it. Don't follow what they say is good and just part of growing up. That is a lie!
2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
* Being a good child of God, we raise others into knowing Him in these things. We didn’t know what we do today right off the bat, but grew in His Word and through tribulations to become grown adults in truth. This has no age but wisdom. You can be 80 and still be a youth because you rejected God. Everyday is a time to grow. Now is the time to grow!
2 Timothy 2:23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
* Ignorance and stupidity cause problems. Look at those that reject truth when you show it to them. Anger and problems within your family or lives come with these unlearned minds. What should we do? Lets see.
2 Timothy 2:24-26 24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, We weren’t born with wisdom, so we must be “patient” with our families and those in and of the world today. 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; Don’t do it as you’re better than they, but as you were there once yourself. Fooled by the worldly way of thinking and by the tricks of satan. 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are
able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ
* Without Christ Jesus, you are dead! It’s never ever to late to start yourself or to let your children, mother, dad, brother or sister know. To be a child of God, It’s your “responsibility” to help all the other children. All souls belong to God and when you have the truth, to keep it to yourself is not of any good to you or them. Plant the seeds of God’s Word and go pray. Our Father will do the watering. Pray they accept it and they will come to you with questions. I pray our Father gives you all the wisdom to lead the children to Him in the way He wants us to do. I pray they accept Him and walk in the light. It is in His service!
Todd Davis, Pastor